Vegetarian Mee Goreng (Indonesian Fried Noodles)
- 1 pound cooked soba noodles (ramen work great and are inexpensive) or 1 pound any other kind Asian noodles, (ramen work great and are inexpensive)
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 half inch ginger root peeled and grated
- 2 leeks (green & white parts) or 6 scallions, chopped (green & white parts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups snow peas
- 1 1⁄2 cups mung bean sprouts
- 3 tablespoons kecap manis (or 3 tablespoons soy sauce mixed with 1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons sambal oelek chili paste or 1 -2 tablespoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs scrambled (recommended) (optional)
- 1 pound firm tofu drained and cubed (optional)
Prepare the noodles according to the package directions; drain and set aside.
In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, and ginger; stir fry until the onion is limp.
Stir in the leeks or scallions, snow peas, and bean sprouts, and cook until tender-crisp.
Then stir in the noodles, kecap manis, and sambal or cayenne.
Add the eggs or tofu.
Mix thoroughly until heated through (about 5 minutes).